Skip to main content

Immunization FAQ

What is the new vaccination requirement?

As of July 1, 2016, all students enrolled in grades TK-12 must meet all of the state's vaccination requirements by the time they next reach a vaccination “checkpoint.” Those checkpoints are grades Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten and Grade 7. (The required immunizations are listed below.)


Who is exempt from the requirements?   

Exemptions are only granted if the student:

  • Has a documented medical reason

  • Is enrolled in a home-based private school

  • Is enrolled in an independent study program with no classroom-based instruction

Please note that all AUSD independent study programs include classroom-based instructions, so these students need to be vaccinated.


Again, AUSD can no longer grant exemptions based on personal beliefs (including religious beliefs).


What if I have a personal belief exemption from before January 1, 2016?

If your student is already enrolled in AUSD, personal beliefs exemptions filed before January 1, 2016 will remain valid until the student reaches the next vaccination checkpoint (i.e., Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten and 7th grade).

In other words, a PBE filed before 2016 at:

  • A child care facility will remain valid until the child first enters transitional kindergarten or kindergarten.

  • Entry to any grade between transitional kindergarten through 6th grade will remain valid until the end of the child’s 6th grade year (goes into 7th grade).

  • Entry to any grade from 7th through 12th will remain valid through the end of 12th grade.

If your student is not enrolled in AUSD, you cannot file a personal belief exemption, even if it was signed by an authorized health care provider in 2015. That's because the exemption needs to be signed no more than 6 months prior to first entry into a new school or child care or new grade span.  


What happens to my personal belief exemption if my child transfers to a new school?

Personal belief exemptions may be transferred between schools in California, both within and across school districts. Personal beliefs exemption from another state or country, however, will not be considered valid if a student transfers to a California school. 


How do I get a medical exemption?

After January 1, 2016, students may be exempted from receiving one or more required immunizations if the parent submits a written statement from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) that details:

  • the physical condition or medical circumstances of the child are such that the required immunization(s) is not considered safe;

  • the physical condition of the child;

  • which vaccines are being exempted;

  • whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary; and

  • the expiration date, if the exemption is temporary

A printable form of that list is available (PDF).


Is there a difference between the Transitional Kindergarten requirements and the Kindergarten requirements?

Students entering transitional kindergarten must meet the same immunization requirements as students entering kindergarten. A student who has met the immunization requirements for transitional kindergarten typically has met the requirements for the following year of kindergarten.


My child has received some, but not all, of her required immunizations. Can she go to school?

Children behind on their required immunizations may be admitted conditionally if they are not currently due for any doses or have a temporary medical exemption. See Shots for Schools Laws for further information.

Please see the links below for additional information on California school immunization requirements and SB 277.


Additional Resources for Parents and Families

Source: Shots for school

California Department of Public Health, Immunization Branch