Skip to main content

Employment FAQs

Do all the school districts pay the same?

The pay rate for teachers in Alameda County varies from district to district. See AUSD's salary schedule for more information. All Alameda Unified School District employees get paid on the last working day of the month (one paycheck per month).


How long does it take to get fingerprint clearance?

Fingerprint clearance varies, but takes approximately 1-2 weeks, however, it can take several months to clear. You cannot start working until you have been cleared.


How long does it take to get my Emergency 30-day Permit?

After the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) receives your application, it takes approximately 1-4 months to receive your credential or permit in the mail.


How long is the probationary period for new employees?

The probationary period for classified staff is six months, and certificated staff has a probationary period of two years.


How much does a substitute teacher make?

The pay rate for substitute teachers in Alameda USD is $150-$180 for a full day. Substitute teachers who choose to work for Alameda Unified will be assigned at the discretion of the District.


I don’t have a teaching credential, but I want to do some substitute teaching; what do I need to do?

You need to apply for a credential or permit through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The consortium will mail you all the necessary forms along with instructions detailing the required documentation you must gather in order to apply for your credential or permit. At the very least, you will need to have your original transcripts from the college or university you attended where you received a Bachelors Degree or higher; and an original CBEST card which was issued to you after you passed the CBEST. You will need to have your fingerprints “scanned” for the CCTC as well as PCOE (two different forms). After filling out the application and personal information form, make an appointment to turn in all documentation.


I have a credential issued from another state (other than California) what do I need to do?

Most out of state credentials qualify an applicant under AB 877 to receive a California Preliminary Credential. For further information on what is required for this process, you may contact our office or the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).


I have a credential or permit that is about to expire. What do I do?

Most credentials are renewable online, you can contact the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) for more information.

I’m enrolled in a credentialing program to get my single-subject credential, but I’m not finished yet. Can I get hired by a district?

It is possible to be hired by a district prior to obtaining a single-subject credential. The applicant would be required to obtain a Pre-Intern/Intern Certificate. These are acquired through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The applicant and the employer must both meet the general and specific requirements as stated by the commission. To obtain a list of specific requirements you may contact the Credentialist at your college or university.

What benefits does AUSD offer? What is the medical cap?

We offer 9 CalPERS approved medical plans. We participate in the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS) and Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). STRS requires an 8% contribution rate from the employee, employer matches 8.25%. PERS requires a 7% contribution from employee and the employer contributes 10.709%. Participation is mandatory for both.  Please visit our benefits page located under the Human Resources Department section for full details.


Where are job vacancies located?

You can view job vacancies on edjoin and look for Alameda Unified School District. You may also view our vacancies on the AUSD website under "Current Job Openings," or visit Human Resources, located at 2060 Challenger Drive, Suite 300, Alameda, CA 94501 (as of 1/7/13).